Cancer is curable if the disease is diagnosed and treated early. But the treatment can be frustrating. Cancer patients have to endure chemotherapy which can break their mental strength. But they can look to yoga for help. There are many asanas that can help in controlling the painful symptoms associated with cancer and their treatment.
Here are 5 yoga asanas that are good for cancer patients. These asanas are simple to practice and great in benefits.
- half sun salutation
It is one of the many asanas that have many benefits for cancer patients.
• Stand straight with your feet close
• Interlace your palms as you pray
• Take a deep breath and raise your hands above your head with the palms together
• Extend your arms to a comfortable level
• Exhale and bend down to touch your toes with your fingers
• Hold for a few seconds and then take a deep breath to return to the starting position
Note: You can bend your knees if needed while touching your toes with your fingers.
• Stressful exercise will relax the entire musculoskeletal frame, including the muscles.
• It has the power to destroy disease-causing microbes and is easy to perform at home.
• It increases blood flow, balances the function of endocrine glands which help in maintaining health for a long time.
• Exercise involves stretching and suppression of the body which has a good effect on the digestive system.
• Pranam Mudra calms nervous nerves by awakening the brain center and a calm nervous system is the guarantee of well being of the body.
- reclining butterfly pose
This yoga asana is very helpful for cancer patients, especially breast cancer patients. It can ease back pain and relieve stress.
• Lie on your back in a comfortable position. If you want, you can take a soft cushion to support your back
• Connect your legs and draw your knees to your hips at a 90-degree angle
• Now let your ears fall to the side; Let gravity rest on your knees for a while
• Exhale and slowly pull your upper back behind the pillow. In this position, your lower back will be on the cushion and your upper back will be extended towards the floor. If you want, you can take a cushion to support the head
• Rest your arms on the floor with your palms facing up
• Breathe deeply in this posture for 15 minutes
• This is a good exercise to stimulate the vital organs of the abdomen, including the ovaries, prostate glands, bladder, and kidneys.
• It strengthens the functioning of the heart and improves blood circulation.
• Stretches the skeletal structure especially the inner thighs, groin, and knees.
• It is a great stress booster and helps in controlling depression caused by diseases.
- foot up wall
It can rejuvenate your body and mind by improving blood circulation to every cell.
• Lie on your back against a wall where you can spread your legs
• Slowly extend your legs towards the wall and keep your feet straight on the wall. Make sure you make a 90-degree angle in this position
• Lie in this position for about 20 minutes and focus on your breathing for these minutes
NOE: You can place a cushion under your lower back for comfort and support.
• It has a direct effect on the nervous system where it can calm damaged nerves and the stressed nervous system.
• It is helpful in controlling the level of blood pressure. It will ease the flow of blood to the heart by relaxing the tense veins.
• It is good for curing problems related to chronic headaches and migraines as the blood reaches the brain faster and faster.
• It can reduce joint and muscle pain, especially on the knees, thighs, and hips.
• This exercise can increase flexibility and improve mobility in a short period of time.
• It reduces fatigue to a great extent and enhances overall health and it affects both physical and mental health equally.
- cat-cow pose
It can revive a tired body and also improve flexibility.
• Get down on your hands and knees
• While exhaling, bend your spine outwards. At this point, your eyes should be on the ceiling
• Take a deep breath and arch your back inward facing the floor
• Hold for a few seconds in the outward and inward stretched position
• Repeat the exercise twice
• Stretches and strengthens the entire spine and neck and surrounding muscles
• Stretches the hips and lower back as well
• Improves posture and increases coordination between different body parts
• Stimulates and massages the abdominal organs such as the kidneys.
• Calms the stressed nervous system and creates emotional balance.
- corpse pose
It is a simple pose to practice and can be practiced without specific training or guidance. Along with this, it is also very beneficial for cancer patients.
• Lie on a hard floor with your feet apart
• Keep your hands slightly away from your stomach with palms facing up
• Now start relaxing the whole body
• Concentrate on your body while it relaxes each part. As a result, you should feel relaxed and relieved of any pressure.
• Take deep and steady breaths as it will help to relax the body parts
• Keep breathing until you reach a state of complete relaxation
• Maintain this position for some time to feel comfortable
• It will relieve you from all those negative symptoms which are disturbing your sleep and mental peace. For example, it will help in controlling stress, fatigue, insomnia, and anger in a very good way.
• It builds memory and helps to focus on the things available at hand.
• This will bring your body to a stable position where you will feel completely relaxed. This will also bring the blood pressure down to a normal level.
• It will take you into a meditative state where your body will start repairing damaged cells and tissues.
• It will infuse positive energy into your body and mind. And this positive energy will foster a sense of well-being.
Disclaimer: This article is posted for informative purposes only. Always consult a yoga professional before starting yoga. Also, we don't guarantee any health improvements.