New Delhi: The entire area of the state of Nagaland has been declared a ‘disturbed area’ for six more months under the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA). This period will be applicable till the end of December. Under AFSPA, security forces have the right to conduct operations anywhere and arrest anyone without warrant.
The Union Home Ministry has issued a notification on Wednesday. It said that the government is of the view that the entire region of the state of Nagaland is in such disturbed and dangerous condition that the use of armed forces is necessary. In such a situation, it has been declared a ‘disturbed area’ for six more months.
The notification issued through Piyush Goyal, Additional Secretary of the Ministry said that in exercise of the powers conferred under Section 3 of the AFSPA, 1958, the Central Government declares the entire area of the State of Nagaland as a disturbed area for a period of six more months from June 30, 2021. will be effective from
AFSPA is in force for many decades
Official sources said that this decision has been taken keeping in mind the cases of murder, robbery and ransom in different areas of the state. Earlier in December 2020, AFSPA was extended for 6 months. It was then effective for a period of six months with effect from 30 December 2020. Let us tell you that AFSPA has been in force in Nagaland for decades. Under this, the security forces have got special powers.
ALSO READ: Entire Nagaland declared ‘disturbed area’ under AFSPA due to ‘dangerous’ situation