New Delhi: The central government has justified the grant of thousands of crores for minorities. Responding to a petition calling such grants against the Constitution, the government has filed an affidavit that the objective behind these schemes is balanced development of every section. It does not violate the rights of the majority. Last week, the court had asked to file a reply on the matter.
It has been said in the petition that a budget of Rs 4,700 crore was kept from the government exchequer for these schemes in 2019-20. There is no provision for this in the constitution. Articles 29 and 30 of the Constitution give the right to the minorities to establish educational institutions and other institutions for themselves. But it is not written in the constitution that the government will give money for it. Minorities should do it on their own to create and run institutions.
In the petition filed through advocate Vishnu Jain, it has also been said that Article 27 of the Constitution forbids that the money taken from taxpayers should be spent by the government for promoting a particular religion. But from the construction of Waqf property to the upliftment of minority students and women, the government is spending thousands of crores of rupees. It is also a violation of the fundamental right of equality of the majority class students and women.
The petitioner’s counsel had told the court last week that the government has not yet filed a reply even after one and a half years have passed since the first hearing on the petition. On this, Attorney General KK Venugopal had said to file a reply in 1 week. Now the government has filed a reply saying that these schemes are not against the fundamental right to equality. Under this, the sections of the minorities who are backward or weak are being encouraged. Help is being given to poor students. Women are being given employment-oriented training. This will lead to proper development of all sections of the society. The next hearing on the matter is likely on July 23.
Assam minister Ranjit Kumar Das said, more than 1 lakh posts are lying vacant in the state since 2016